So tomorrow I turn 30 & leave my 20s behind. It feels like this is the right time to evaluate my 20s and what I’ve learned. Here are 20 things that I have learned in my 20s:
1. A drama free life is a wonderful thing. There is soooo much unnecessary drama in your early 20s.
2. You don’t have to and shouldn’t pretend your life is perfect all the time. It’s okay to tell the people close to you about the bad stuff as well as the good.
3. Relationships (of all kinds – friends, boyfriends, family members) are so important. They also take work. It needs to include equal effort (maybe at different times) and making time for each other. Oh and quality > quantity.
4. It’s okay to mess up. That’s pretty much what your 20s are for. Learn from it.
5. Everyone doesn’t like you and you definitely should not lose sleep over that.
6. Less is almost always more. Leaving something to the imagination is a good idea.
7. Stand up for your beliefs. Don’t ever go along with the popular opinion to impress people.
8. If he cares, you won’t have to chase him. It’s a man’s natural instinct to chase. If you’re the 1 doing all the chasing, he’s not worth it.
9. Look after your skin! High SPFs and skin care routines are where it’s at. You’ll be glad of it later.
10. Duck face poses are ridiculous and extremely unattractive.
11. Taking photos is so important. Your memory will fade and photos serve as great memories.
12. Wear comfortable heels or put flats in your bag. Don’t walk home in your bare feet.
13. Your gut instinct is almost always right!
14. Travelling is a good way to spend your money. Do it your way though, because there are so many travel “know-it-alls”. Whether it’s a week at a time in 5 star hotels or a year at a time in hostels, do what feels right to you.
15. It’s ok to spend Saturday nights binge watching TV series rather than binge drinking but it’s also okay to go drinking and let your hair down with friends too.
16. ‘No’ is a full sentence. You don’t always have to have an excuse/reason.
17. Pick your battles. This is a big 1 for me. Sometimes it’s easier and makes more sense to hold your tongue.
18. Don’t compare yourself to others. Everyone is on a different journey. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Be happy for your friend’s achievements, wish people who are no longer in your life happiness and be grateful for what you have. The grass is not always greener.
19. Never point out your flaws to other people. They might not have noticed before you drew their attention to them.
20. This 1 leads on from the last and it’s a bit of a cliche but stop hating things about yourself. You might never be the skinniest or have the prettiest hair. So what. You have plenty of other things going for you.
Of course, it’s not all plain sailing and if I’m being honest, I’m not 100% there with #19 & #20 but it’s definitely a work in progress. Unfortunately I don’t know everything and I still have a lot to learn so maybe in 10 years time, I’ll be sharing 30 new things I’ve learned.
Here are some things I hope to learn/do in my 30s that I haven’t quite mastered in my 20s:
1. Budgeting my money better and not being afraid to check my bank balance! (Shopping obsession, anyone?)
2. The 6 month mantra. I tend to over worry and I can be a bit of a worse case scenario kind of person. I’ll learn from this in the future, I’m sure. So I need to try & think of the mantra of asking myself if it’s something that will still be a problem in 6 months time before I freak out.
3. Not to let my emotions or mood dictate my day.
4. Patience. Mine are definitely getting worse rather than better. That’s enough said about that.
5. Stop making excuses not to exercise.