Ta Da!!! My word for 2016 is Balance.
It took me a while to decide on my word. I’ve been playing around with it and trying it out for size over the month of January. I went through a similar process last year and I was glad I took my time choosing a word. The process that worked for me in 2015 was to think about what things I needed or wanted to change in any way and write down words that came to mind. Then, I looked through lists of words on Ali Edwards’ site and added any that caught my attention. Next, I looked up dictionary definitions of the words and searched for quotes on them on Pinterest. By this point I usually have it pinned down to around 3 words. I write down all the ways each of them can apply to my year ahead and how they can benefit me. I usually have one in mind by this point and I just see how it feels for the rest of the month and I have my decision made by January 31st.
Last year I didn’t really use any method of recording my progress, yet the word stayed with me all year.This year I’m not committing myself to any particular method but I definitely plan to track it in some way. The biggest change I’ve made this year is to sign up to Ali Edwards’ One Little Word workshop for 2016. It has already given me some ideas to run through when choosing a word and I look forward to finding out what it has to offer each month. If you would like to check it out, you can here. You can also find out more information about One Little Word here. The link is also in my side bar. Finally, if you want to check out my previous posts on this topic, click on One Little Word here or under the Series tab in the menu bar.
Are you taking part in One Little Word this year? What’s your word for 2016?
Image made using the ‘A Beautiful Mess’ app & the ‘Color Story’ app.
I’m taking part in Ali Edwards ‘One Little Word’ again this year. I tried it last year for the first time and found it really interesting. I was surprised how much I took hold of the word and although I didn’t achieve everything I thought I would with it, I’m happy with the changes I’ve made and I plan to keep hold of that it while I take on this year’s word.
Last year’s word was ‘Stronger’ and I hoped to become stronger in lots of different ways. The most important thing I hoped to gain from ‘One Little Word’ was to become stronger mentally and comfortable staying in the house overnight on my own. It took some time but I finally got there and now I actually enjoy having the house to myself. This was a HUGE accomplishment for me. The second thing I wanted was to become physically stronger, fitter and healthier. I have a long, long way to go on that but I’ve made some progress. I try to go swimming regularly and I still love chocolate and McDonalds when I’m hungover and drink waaaaay too much diet coke but I’m marginally better than I was.I’ve definitely become stronger as an individual person and I enjoy my own company more and I like the idea of being single and not worried about anyone else. I’d like to think I’m doing okay as a friend and I’m there for my friends as much as I can when they need me. I need to work more on the family bit, I could probably have more patience in that area. I suppose the people closet to us can end up on the wrong end of our bad moods. I think I’m definitely more positive than I was but I think that’s down to being happier in my life and doing more things that I enjoy.
I definitely didn’t build a stronger blog and kind of flaked on it completely. I also didn’t become better at my job. These things needing more work have helped me to choose this year’s word. Stay tuned to find out what 2016’s word will be. You can check out my post on 2015’s word here.
Have you tried ‘One Little Word’? How did your 2015 word go?
I recently read that less than 10% of new year resolutions are kept.I’m sure that’s because people are aiming too big with very specific goals and timetables to go with them. People almost think it’s possible to be a whole new amazing person – to reach their goal weight, quit smoking, give up all junk food and so on. Another problem that I think occurs is that people jump straight in on the first of January and try to commit to all of their resolutions at once.
This year I decided to be as realistic as possible and set myself just one “standard” resolution. By standard I mean the type mentioned above. One big goal. Last year I already made an effort to eat better and lose weight but that didn’t start until May/June. So this year I hope to lose the same amount of weight as I did in the last 6/7 months of last year. That definitely seems possible. I waited until I was back in work before I attempted to make any changes. By week two my eating habits were on their way back to my pre-December ways.
I also waited a couple of weeks until everything settled down to start thinking other about resolutions. So here goes…
This year I hope to:
- Spend less time on social media. This is vague for a reason. I spend a lot of time on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest and if I can cut it down at all, it’s a success. I’ve started by unfollowing accounts I’m not really interested in on Instagram & Pinterest. That means I can get through my feeds faster. The next step is to delete my Facebook app so I have to go onto my laptop to use it. I’m not quite ready for that yet.
- Watch less reality TV. The plan is to only watch ‘I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here’ because I really enjoy it and it only lasts 3 weeks and because everyone needs a guilty pleasure. There, that’s enough reasons I’d say.
- Get involved in Ali Edward’s ‘One Little Word’ again. I decided to do it last year for the first time and although I didn’t document it other than my first post, I stuck to it and I found it successful. Last year’s word was ‘Stronger’ and my main goal was to become stronger and less afraid to stay in the house by myself overnight. It worked. I’ve finally overcome that fear. I need to work some more on some of the other aspects of my OLW from last year. You can check my 2015 OLW here. I haven’t decided on my word for 2016 yet but when I do, I’ll be sure to write about it.
- Read more. I plan to read more because I should have more free time considering I’m cutting down on social media and reality TV. I also want to read more books from authors that are not from Ireland, the UK and the United States.
Do any of you have resolutions you feel confident about sticking to?
I know I’m a little late to the party considering I think Ali Edwards started the concept of One Little Word in 2006 but I’m going to attempt my first OLW this year. I have no idea yet how I’m going to document it. I already do Project Life so I’m not sure if I will try to incorporate it into my monthly spreads or document it in some other way.
I have, however, decided on my word. I went back and forward over a few different words but I’ve finally settled on ‘Stronger’. I’m aiming for 2015 to be a stronger year for me in many different areas. I wanted to pick a word that could transfer from personal life to work life to how I think.
My aim this year is to:
- become mentally stronger. I want to be able to stay at home on my own at night without feeling terrified. That seems like a huge challenge but I did say strongER.
- become physically stronger and fitter and healthier.
- become stronger as an individual person. Be stronger as a ‘me’ instead of a ‘we’. I enjoy my own company but I’m learning how to live my life as a single person again after 6 years. Learning to rely on myself if I need to (not that I have to very often, I have amazing family & friends) and become stronger as a real grown-up person.
- build a stronger, more organised blog and hopefully build a stronger following too.
- become a stronger friend/family member. Sometimes I have to be in the mood for people and if I’m not and it doesn’t suit me, I can flake on things.
- have a stronger attitude. I’m not pushing the ‘Positive Mental Attitude’ but I’m trying to be less negative and more thankful for what I have.
- Stronger at my job. more patient, better time keeping skills, better organised.
Is anyone else taking part in the One Little Word challenge this year? I’d love for people to share how they plan to document it?
If any of you are interested in taking part, you can check all Ali Edwards has to say about OLW here.