Hi, I’m Ali and I’m addicted to personality type quizzes. I’m also very into other people around me doing them so I can learn more about them. I think you can learn more about someone by their personality type than you can based on what they will tell you about themselves. The personality types that I’m most interested in are the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and Enneagram.
I’ll give you a quick background of MBTI in case you haven’t heard of it and you’re interested. It’s a personality test, made up of statements, and you give your answers on a scale of how much you agree or disagree. It was created by Katharine Cook Briggs and her daughter Isabel Briggs Myers during World War 2. Their work was based on theory by Carl Jung and it indicates differing psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions.There are 16 different personality types.
My personality type according to Myers-Briggs is INFJ. Introvert (I), Intuition (N) Feeling (F) and Judging (J). Some INFJ traits that definitely apply to me:
- Hates loud and crowded places
- Not good with money
- Take their commitments very seriously
- Seek life-long relationships
- Have very high expectation for themselves and others
- Hates coming home to a dirty house
- Never compromise their personal values
- Extremely stubborn if they think they’re right
- Either non-stop talking or very quiet
- Organised (but, with me, this really depends on what aspects of life we’re talking about)
- Always feels like there’s something they can be doing to improve themselves
- Recharges their energy in solitude
- Feels anxious about future unknowns
- Puts pressure on themselves to get things done
- Extreme dislike for criticism
- You should never lie to an INFJ, they’ll know and it will matter
If you want to give the test a go, you can here.
The history of the Enneagram of Personality is a bit more unclear but they’re believed to come from the teachings of the Bolivian psycho-spiritual teacher Oscar Ichazo from the 1950s and the Chilean psychiatrist Claudio Naranjo from the 1970s. The Enneagram has 9 different personality types and they’re much easier to remember: 1-9. To make it a little bit more complicated though, it’s believed you have 1 type with a wing type as well. The wings are the two numbers either side of yours. Usually your score much higher in one of them and that is your wing.
My personality type according to Enneagram is Type 6 with a 5 wing.
Some Enneagram 6 traits that definitely apply to me:
- Tend to be anxious, suspicious and indecisive
- Thinks the world is dangerous
- over feels and over thinks
- Enjoys true crime stories
- Security is important
- Likes to be prepared
- Doesn’t like sudden changes
- Stands for justice
- Expects the worst, hopes for the best
- Tends to play it safe
If you want to give the test a go, you can here
- I’m worried about: Lockdown ending. Is that weird? Am I the only 1? Is everyone else just so ready for it to be over that they’re not worrying? I think my personality types above will tell you that it’s not out of the ordinary that I’m worrying. I’ve even been dreaming about it. I think I’m more worried about going back out into the real world than I ever was about being stuck home, but I guess that’s the introvert/over-thinker in me.
- I’m reading: I just finished Normal People by Sally Rooney. I can’t decide what to move onto next.
- I’m enjoying: The glorious sunshine. It was so so nice out yesterday. Today is a little grey but that’s ok.
- Online orders: I ordered some festoon lights for the back garden. We also ordered a bench for the front garden that arrived this week. I went wild and ordered 2 pairs of runners/trainers. It’s time I replaced my favourite pair. I think I have them about 6 years now.
- Random supermarket purchases: Last week I went to the big Tesco for our food shop and I bought a garden shears, some birthday cards that I plan to use for a gallery wall (maybe) and 3 jumpsuits that were reduced to less than €10 each.
- I’m watching: We binged Normal People. I loved it. The acting was so good. Dave hated the ending. I found it very emotional and kind of liked it. We’re also working our way through the Star Wars movies in chronological order because Dave hasn’t seen any of them and I haven’t seen the last 3. It’s all very exciting.
- New Traditions: We’ve had a cocktail night on a Saturday a couple of times and this is something I definitely want to continue to do when lockdown is over. My new favourite is the Berry Collins (pictured above). I learned the hard way to stick to just one type of cocktail.
Are you doing anything you’d like to keep up after lockdown? If you do the personality tests, please please tell me your results. You can come & chat in the comments, slide into my DMs on Instagram or email me at email@example.com
Anyway, that’s enough from me this week…catch ya next week…maybe!